Monday, July 14, 2008

Curly Willow









I have 2 curly willow trees in my yard that hold a lot of sentimental value in my heart. Both trees were started from cuttings that were placed in flower arrangements for my baby sister's funeral.

My baby sister died 3 1/2 years ago and I miss her so much. The willow cuttings had rooted in the flower arrangements and I didn't know it until I went to throw the dried flowers out (I saved some for flower pressings). When I saw the roots, I knew I had to keep these little trees alive.

The first year, I grew them in pots and babied them through the summer, fall and winter. By the spring of 2006, they were big enough to have a permanent place in yard.

Now I have two wonderful trees that remind me of my sister every time I look at them. This method of rooting trees or other plants is a great way to memorialize a loved one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!! your work is great!! and thank you for your comments... well... i have 15 years old and I live in portugal... I was born in canada... :D... i don't like to talk about me in the internet... :D...well... thank you again...

signed: kirbynmp

Live.Love.Eat said...

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love your blog, I wish I could garden like that. I just started doing some container gardening and think that will be the extent of it.

Price said...

What a beautiful way to memorialize your loved one.

The blog is terrific, by the way.