Tuesday, September 2, 2008

It's Time to Plant the Garlic

It's that time of year again - time to plant the garlic. Although I'm no expert on growing garlic, this will be my second season and I'm looking forward to it. For more expert advice on growing garlice, check out Bifurcated Carrots - they always have GREAT advice! (This photo is from this past spring.)

I recently finished harvesting the last of my onions, so I will be planting my garlic in the same bed. After tilling up the soil, I amended it with some compost. I got my seed garlic from the local Southern States, so I only have one variety. One of these years, I'll try some new varities, but for now, I'm still learning.

I harvested about 3 dozens heads of garlic this spring and I was so proud! I'm hoping to increase my plantings this fall, so I'll have more garlic with the coming spring. (This photo is also from the spring.)

No comments: