Sunday, May 24, 2009

Freak of Nature ...?

See that dark pink peony mixed in with the white ones? Pretty isn't it? And it's growing on a white plant ... that right, this is one hugh peony bush. It has been blooming profusly for the past 5 years, but this is the first year a pink bloom has shown up on the white bush. Strange, huh?

This is the same peony bush at the end of April. This clump is located at the top of my driveway garden - the one closest to mine and my neighbor's driveway and the blacktopped road out front.

This is a wide view of the peonies the day after Mother's Day.

Although I think it's beautiful to have a rogue bloom appearing on an all white bush, it is a mystery to me how this mutation happened. In the 15+ years I've been growing peonies, this is the first time I've had a totally different color bloom show up on bush of another color.

No comments: