Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sad News

After being so excited about the Cardinal nest in the mulberry tree outside my bedroom window - I was so disappointed today when I noticed the nest was empty. We first found the eggs on April 10th and they have not had enough time to hatch and the babies to learn to fly.

I don't know if something happened to the eggs and the parents abandoned the nest, or if something ate the eggs. I was so looking forward to watching the babies grow.

But alas, nature's cycle goes 'round and 'round.

I do have a Robin nest in the tree near my veggie garden - Mr. and Mrs. Robin get very angry with me when I'm working in the garden. The nest is too high in the tree to see how many eggs there are, but I'm looking forward to hearing the little chirps of babies.

There is also two Mourning Dove nests in one of our pine trees - we've watched countless Mourning Doves raise their young, so they aren't as exciting as the Robins or the Cardinals.

No comments: