Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Salad Greens - Check

The kitchen garden is slowly starting to take shape. Between rain storms and bouts of cold weather, it has been difficult getting the garden ready.

I have started a new kitchen garden this year because I wanted it to be closer to the house. To some people it may seem strange to have a kitchen garden in the front yard, but that's where I wanted it. I have a sunny corner of the front yard that is perfect for a garden because it is in full sun most of the day. Of course, because I live on a dead-end street, no one will see my front yard garden.

Over the weekend, I got the strawberry plants nestled in the ground and they received a nice, gentle rain overnight.

Today, I planted 18 cabbage plants, 9 rutabagas, 9 head lettuces, 25 Romaine lettuces and 2 hills of yellow summer squash. Boy, is my back killing me!

I have started some more indoor seeds which I hope will be ready for transplanting just after Derby Day: pickling cucumbers, bell peppers, banana peppers, Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, yellow tomatoes and beef steak tomatoes.

I'm having trouble getting my pictures from the camera to the computer, so as soon as I can, I'll post some photos of the progression of my garden.

(Artwork from GMushrooms.)

.

No comments: